Tuesday, April 19, 2011

On What I Learned From the Internet This Week- Adak, Alaska Edition

The internet is a magical place.

Want to know how birds mate? One click away. What to know the history of My Little Ponies? Ask google and you shall receive.

Sometimes the internet takes you on some strange tangents.

A few days ago I decided I wanted to see if I could find the most western city in the US without using google's search. So I pulled up Google maps and began my search "by hand".

Then I gave up and searched google.

As it turns out, the most western and eastern cities in the US are in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska. So if you are ever on Jeopardy and this question comes up, you now know the answer. You are welcome.

Any who, from this search I found out about a little city named Adak, Alaska.

Until 1997, Adak was home to a Navy base. During Naval times, although isolated, it was fairly built up and modern. Home to thousands of people. It had a McDonald's, a new hospital, and newly updated naval housing. Now, 14 years later, it is a relative ghost town. Only about 300 odd people still reside there. The McDonald's is closed, yet still advertises their Jurassic Park Happy Meals in the window. The hospital is closed. The furnished houses have been left to slowly decay and become eroded by the fiercely high winds that the island experiences.

The pictures are eerie. Because the island was so (relatively) recently abandoned, it looks like one of those "end of the world" specials that the History Channel loves to play. Adding to the creepiness is the military aspect of the island. Apparently there was nuclear crap maintained at the island and danger warnings are all over the place.

I found this one the most entertaining.



Remember kids, don't touch bombs!

You can see more pictures of the island here . And a little narrative of some dude's adventure on the island here.

Pretty neat stuff. Anyone want to go on vacation to an abandoned island with me?

1 comment: