Monday, December 13, 2010

On Mispronunciations and Linguistics

Linguistics is fascinating to me. I totally should have been a speech pathologist.

However, instead of 5 years of school and a masters degree, I have decided to dub myself, via the power of the interwebs, an internet linguistic expert.

From hence forth, let it be know that that *this* is the proper pronunciation of the following words in Queen (of teh World)'s English:

wind mills = wind meels

Rudolph = Roo- doff

For real = fir reel

I am sure there are others, but these are the one's I get ribbed about the most lately.

My husband is not sure where I came up with these mutant pronunciations, but they feel right coming out of my mouth and I am all about following my feelings in linguistic matters.

If you are bored and looking for something to do, take this quiz!

Here is what I got:
What American accent do you really have?
Your Result: Midland
 

(not "Midwest") The Midland is the neutral zone between the North and the South: Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri (roughly). Since it's the neutral zone, its accent is fairly neutral. And since the accent is neutral, there are millions of people with Midland accents who have never lived anywhere near the Midland (Floridians, for example). There are a lot of newscasters who talk like you.

Western
 
North Central
 
Northeast New England
 
Southern
 
Northern
 
Mid-Atlantic
 
Northeastern
 
What American accent do you really have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


Boring! I want more interesting accent. I am working on making a new accent up.

One word at a time.

4 comments:

  1. oh and my accent is northern. yay for chicago! :P
    (and no, I didn't just say chi-caaaaaaaa-go)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i say ping-wins too, considered added to my accent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is northern too. Since I'm from wIs-CAHHHHHN-son.

    ReplyDelete