Wednesday, December 29, 2010

On Swearing and Music

Song prompt Wed!

"Bitches ain't shit but hos' and tricks," Ben Folds, by way of Dr. Dre, Bitches Ain't Shit.

I kind of love swearing.

It makes me feel good.

Not so much swearing AT people, because that is mean and should be reserved for rare occasions. But a good swear word peppered into normal conversation just makes things more interesting. A stream of profanities when you are by yourself and mad at something? Cathartic as shit.

Some seem to think it is uncouth, and perhaps it is. But if swearing is wrong, I don't want to be fucking right.

Same goes for music.

I was part of a conversation recently where a woman expressed a distaste for secular music because the subject matter is typically not chaste.

I get that. But I think that there is a time for hymns, but also a time for songs like Bitches Ain't Shit. Swearing in songs releases tension. Plus, the song referenced is just plain an interesting arraignment to listen to. Both the original and the cover.

So as long as you are not at work, click the play button, sit back, and enjoy a good fucking song.

No comments:

Post a Comment